Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Access to COM port denied. Unable to flash Marlin to MKS base 1.4

I was running stock firmware on my Tevo Tarantula. It performed well, but was limited in terms of features. So after reading through a lot of user feedback from Facebook Tevo Tarantula Owners group, I decided to flash Marlin.

Since I had Arduino IDE already installed, I downloaded the Marlin source files which Jim Brown has optimized specifically for Tevo Tarantula.

Follow the link and download: https://github.com/JimBrown/MarlinTarantula


Select EasyConfig-1.1.X from Branch drop down and download. Once downloaded open marlin.ino in Arduino IDE.

Edit the config.h file as required and upload. Now the process so far is straight forward and it should work. However this where all the issue began. "Access to COM port denied."

To being with fixing this issue, I thought some application must be using the COM port. So i closed all applications but nothing fixed it. Then since some applications run in bakground, I rebooted the system thus killing any application accessing COM port. After a reboot nothing worked.

By this time I was frustrated, and something clicked. I remembered installing Repetier-Server when I installed Repetier-Host. So stopped Repetier server and BINGO, it worked. So I uninstalled Repetier server and I was able to upload the firmware to my MKS base 1.4 board. Rebooted and everything works fine. I have to fine tune the options to get perfect print. More on the development in my next post.

P.S. Anybody facing issues connecting to printed using Repetier-Host or uploading firmware using Arduino IDE, check if you have Repetier-Server installed and uninstall it.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment